Safety should always be a priority when traveling abroad. Here are some tips from Independent Traveler on what not to wear when traveling in order to avoid being singled out or drawing unnecessary attention that may result in crime.
· Immodest clothing. It is wise to dress modestly especially in religious areas. Women should avoid miniskirts and mini dresses, bra tops, short shorts, and cleavage-bearing neck lines. Men should avoid sleeveless and chest bearing shirts.
· Flashy jewelry. Flashy jewelry draws attention to you and to your group. Don’t let yourself be a victim to theft. Leave your valuables at home!
· Religious or National Imagery. Avoid clothes that make a statement about where you come from or what denomination you practice.
· Bright Colors. In order to blend in and not attract attention, avoid loud colors and patterns. Stick to the classics such as black, white, navy, tan, and grey.
· Observe what the locals are wearing and play copycat.